Friday, April 2, 2010

Roberto Mancini open to Italy return

Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini would welcome a return to Italy with Serie A giants Juventus.
Roberto Mancini
GettyImages
Roberto Mancini: Considering a return to Italy?
Mancini, who succeeded sacked Mark Hughes at City last December, has been linked by the Italian media with the Turin hotseat this summer.
Juve sacked Ciro Ferrara earlier this season and appointed Alberto Zaccheroni as his replacement until the end of the season.
Mancini told Italian newspaper Il Sole 24 Ore: "(The Premier League) is certainly a good experience, I have felt well here.
"They continue to tell me that in Italy it is worse and perhaps it was right that I took a decision to broaden my horizons. But I am ready to turn back, if and when I have that possibility.''
Although he is happy at Eastlands, the 45-year-old has hinted he would be tempted to guide Juve.
"Juve is always Juve,'' Mancini said. "We are not talking about the last team in Italy or in Europe. It's true that they are going through a difficult time but we are talking about a club with a lot of history and prestige, made up of victories.''
Mancini, however, is not a popular candidate for Juve fans because of his time at Inter Milan. He guided Inter to three consecutive Serie A titles and seven trophies in his four seasons in charge.
"I am considered an enemy because of my years at Inter,'' Mancini said. "But as I have said many times and it's no longer a mystery, as a child I was a Juve fan.''
When asked when he will return to Serie A, Mancini, who is under contract with City until June 2013, said: "I don't know. Football is strange but sooner or later.''
In the meantime, Mancini is enjoying his time with City. "Living in England is fascinating, I discover a new world every day,'' he said. "Sure, I'd bring the Premier League post-match ritual of a bottle of wine back to Italy.
"The coaches meet for a drink and talk about football, while players gather with family and eat together. There are no grudges - the referee's whistle ends every dispute and every rivalry.''

ESPN SOCCERNET

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bookmark and Share